Sunday, December 20, 2009

More great ideas...indoor and holiday...

#4 Indoor idea
Play Grocery Store

Is it time to reorganize the pantry or kitchen cabinets? Take out everything and let the kids play grocery store! Load their "merchandise" into their toy wagon and grocery cart...give them blank stickers or sticky notes and a marker for prices and sale items...even give them grocery bags. For money, use pennies and nickels from a piggy bank. Get a calculator for the register and a shoebox for a money box. You can also do clothing store when it is time to rearrange your clothes like around season change time!!

I have done this before...but sadly, not with my own kids. I used to do it when I was a kid!! I used to have SUCH fun!! I forgot how much fun it was though, and as an adult...I really don't want a big mess...but I will be doing this. It is too fun to pass up for the kids!!!


#97 Holiday Idea
Christmastime Read-Aloud

Gather around the tree and read aloud from great Christmas books! You can choose classics like "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens, or "Christmas in the Big Woods" by Laura Ingalls Wilder...or for the younger kids who can't sit very long, how about "The Polar Express" by Chris Van Allsburg...or anything Christmasy...even if it is Elmo!!

What I do every year is I wrap all of our Christmas books...the old ones AS WELL as 4 brand new ones...one per kid. We wrap them all, and every night we unwrap one or two (depending on how many we have) and read them aloud together. The kids love to open them even if they are old. They only see these books once a year, so it is like they are new to them.

No comments: