Sunday, August 9, 2009

Mormon Trail Center

I am going a little backwards....I first blogged about Tuesday at Mahoney...but on Monday we went somewhere fun too! We tried to go to Durham Museum, but it is apparently closed on Mondays. Who knew? Not I! Well...I had just drove from far west Omaha to far east Omaha and I didn't want to go home after such a drive...it only took 15 minutes...but we are spoiled here in Omaha. I can remember living in Phx, it took an hour to get anywhere, and that didn't bother me...now 15 minutes bothers me! CRAZINESS!!! Anyway...I was trying to think of things to do on that side of town, that would be free....I was on a budget. I thought about the Dino Dig at Fontanelle Forest, but called Jeff and found out it was expensive. So, I remembered that the Mormon Trail Center was up the road aways in Florence, where the mormons had their "Winter Quarters" back in 1846ish when they were crossing to "The Great Salt Lake". I called Jeff...he looked it up and it was free. Now...we are NOT Mormon...but I knew that the trail center was more about Pioneers, than about the Mormon religion, so I wasn't too concered. It was actually REALLY interesting. It was FULLY about Pioneers....no mention, or very little mention about Mormonism...they talked about God...but not about their religion. We had a guided tour (just the five of us!), and it was ALL free! The kids learned a lot...I learned a lot...and they actually enjoyed it! They gave each kid a booklet that they could use to find things in the museum and circle, etc. It kept them busy and attentive. ONLY AT THE END of the tour, did our tour guide ask if we were members of the church. I promptly said, "No." He then asked if he could give me a free book. I knew what book he was talking about and I said, "No thank you." He then said, "It is free...you can pass it on to someone else if you don't want it." I said, "No thank you, but I enjoyed the tour." And we walked on. That was the only mention...but the rest of the tour was worth it. VERY interesting. If you have the chance sometime you should go if you are local!

No comments: