Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Freedom Park, Bob Kerry Pedestrian Bridge

Soooo, the same day we went to Durham, we decided to check out a few other things on that side of town. So we checked out the Bob Kerry Pedestrian Bridge. It is a bridge. It connects Iowa and Nebraska....what more can I say...it is a bridge. But, it was fun to say that we crossed it!! They did do a nice job building it!! This was one of the hottest days....so we were all swetting and very tired. As you can see...Major didn't make it to Iowa awake!


On our walk back to the truck, they have these statues of the Lewis and Clark Landing. I thought they were great...and a wonderful learning opportunity...so I put on my homeschooling hat of old and explained who they were and what they did...of course...Cam...smarty as he is had to correct me on a few things. Hey...its been awhile since I was in school!


We also went to Freedom Park. For those of you in the Omaha area who have not been to Freedom Park, it is really cool. On certain weekends you can actually go inside the big ship and the submarine....but on a weekday like this was everything except the helicopter was locked up...but still very cool. My Jake is a HUGE military fan. I wouldn't doubt it if he joined the military our of high school. So he REALLY loved it!! It is completely free...except on the weekends that you can tour the ship and sub. It was fun!





This chain was actually used in WWII. I just thought the size of it was immense. I know there are probably even bigger ones...but this one was the biggest one I can remember seeing first hand!


Check out this anchor! If you look to the left of the picture, you will see little Major...just to give you an idea of how HUGE this anchor was!!! Again, used in WWII....I am sure there are bigger ones out there now...but this one was big!

No comments: