Monday, April 13, 2009

Wednesday of Spring Break, the 8th...

This is the day we chose to do out of town things. My dad went with us on this day. We all had a great time...until the end, but I will explain that later!

First off we headed to Lincoln at about 9:30. We went to the boys' FAVORITE museum, the Morrill Hall Museum on UNL's campus. First let me say...I don't know why this is underlining everything I write. I didn't tell it to and there is no where that I can see to correct it...so just deal with it for this post! :-) Anyway, here is a picture of Major looking at some of the Nomads of Nebraskas past!
This museum is great! It has dino bones, all sorts of animal bones and reproductions of ancient animals, etc. Most of the bones in the museum were found somewhere in Nebraska, which makes it that much more interesting! Here is Major with some beavers.

Here are all of us...except for Papa in front of some deer...remember...all the animals are stuffed...or reproductions anyway.

There is a little hole down there that if you look inside it, there is a badger inside. That is what Major is about to do...look in the hole. He has looked several times, but he just couldn't stop.

Major LOVES ducks. This is just more proof that he is enamored with ducks!! We have SO many bathtub ducks that it isn't even funny anymore...and he dances with his ducks, he carries them all around the house...we have ducks EVERYWHERE! This duck in the picture is fake by the way...I wouldn't let my son get that close to a wild duck!

Papa and Major in the kids' area.


Jake and MaKenna seeing what it is really like to dig for dino bones!

Major wanting a piece of that action too!
Looking at more in the kids' area.

Here are papa and Cam playing the "What's that smell game". Tons of fun!


MaKenna cornered the boys into the tree trunk! That's my girl!!!

Here are all of them inside an enormous tree trunk! What is it with Jake? Is it the age? I mean really? He has to either make a face or do something with his hands in every picture. It is very disturbing! :-~After Morrill Hall we headed to Burger King for a quick, yet expensive bite to eat! The boys eat two of everything now. I shutter to think what it might be like when they are teenagers! Then off we went back on the free way to the Wildlife safari! I didn't get any pictures there! I know...bad mommy. But we had a great time! Saw lots of Elk, Deer, Bison, Pronghorn, etc....but the Wolves and the Bears refused to be seen. We even tried calling them...but no...they weren't going to humor us. Of course, we may have sounded pretty sad to their ears too! :-) Major's favorite part? Yup...you guessed it...the duck pond!! Oh...he got SO excited! He would take deep breathes every time he saw one and he would clap his little hands and jump up and down on Papa's lap! We took him out of the car seat while we drove through so he could see. That was all of our highlights at the Safari...watching Major's reactions to real live ducks!!!


Next stop...Aksarben Aquarium...also known as Schramm State Park. Here is a picture of Cam and MaKenna with a catfish. No....it is not real in case you were wondering. :-~ MaKenna wasn't so sure though!This is where things started getting a bit hairy. Jake started complaining of hunger pains at Morrill Hall...but I gave him snacks, then he ate a ton at Burger King. I thought all was well. You know where I am going with this don't you? By the time we got to Schramm, he was doubled over in stomach pain. Schramm is a VERY little aquarium and museum...it has just always been one of our favorites. Maybe that is why, there is hardly ever anybody there. So I sat him in a soft chair by the window with binoculars that he could check out the forest with. The rest of us went in. No one else was at the museum that day so I wasn't too concerned. By the time we came out, he was gone and standing by the bathroom...yup...you guessed it. There is tons of hiking around Schramm that we had planned on doing...but we decided that we would do that another day, Jake had thrown up all over their bathroom floor. Ugh. So...off we went. Luckily Schramm was our last stop. We dropped off Papa, and drove straight home. He rested the rest of the evening. Cam and Jeff tried to go BMX practicing...but the track was closed due to the snow we had the weekend before. The track was too soft. So we rented a few movies and watched a couple together.

One of the movies was Marley and Me. Very good movie...I encourage everyone who loves dogs to see it...but be prepared at the end...thats all I will say.
Another great movie we watched...it was from the 80's. I watched it when I was a kid...I loved it then, and the kids absolutely loved it now! It is called Mac and Me.


No comments: