Thursday, April 2, 2009

First Tornado of the season...


We had our first tornado warning of the season about a week and a half ago. I am just slow getting this out. All the sickies in the house made it difficult for me to actually sit at the computer for very long! :-) Anyway...it was fun...as always! I tell ya....if I didn't have young children, I think Jeff and I would be Storm Chasers! I get such a kick out of nasty weather! You never know...maybe when the kids are out of the house, we will start chasing! The warning lasted a couple hours. Like last years tornado it came pretty close to our house...not near as close as last years though. We are at 149th and Q....I am told that there was a funnel cloud at 168th and Q. There was no damage though. Anyway, the clouds were very ominous and very beautiful! I sent all the kids to the basement, then Jeff and I hung out outside! It was weird...all of a sudden the severe winds just stopped. There wasn't even a small breeze....all of the birds stopped too. It was just silent. It was very eerie. I remember my mom telling me that that is what it is like before a tornado. I started getting a little nervous...but about 2 minutes of stillness passed and the winds picked up again. It was very cool. In the mean time....the tornado "virgins" called me. Tini wasn't sure what to do....and actually Dixie didn't call me...I called her to make sure she knew....then I called Tanner to make sure he knew. And...of course, Tanner...like us crazy Filleman's was outside watching....at least until the hail started! :-) No damage that night...but it was a good start of the season!!!

No comments: