Wednesday, June 17, 2009

First tick of the season...and it's on MaKenna!

YUCK...YUCK....YUCK....YUCK!!!!!

So, I was showering with MaKenna the other day (it's just faster and easier), and I washed her hair, etc. Nothing out of the norm...until......I was brushing her hair. ICK! I thought she had a big knot in her hair or something. I tried to take it out...when I realized, the "knot" was squishy!! EEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S A TICK!!!!!! Cue 33 year old woman screaming and cringing while trying to keep truth from 4 year old daughter.

Okay...so I have had ticks before....none of the kids have though...and the ticks that I have had, were on my leg...easily noticed and easily taken off. But the HAIR?!?!?! How do I know how long it had been there? I was HOPING that it happened the night before while the kids were playing in the weeds while Peanut ate out at the ranch. Either way....ICK! I called my dad.

Tonya: "Dad!! Where are you???"
Dad: "On my way home...why?"
Tonya: "Great! Stop here please...Kenna has a tick!"
Dad: "Okay...on my way!"

I also called my husband...but he really wasn't much help because he couldn't come home, and anything that he told me would go in one ear and out the other because I wasn't yanking this thing out of my daughters head.

Dad got there really quick. Like a surgeon on a mission, he got MaKenna on the stool...put out his hand and said, "Tweezers." I handed him the tweezers...moved her hair out of the way exposing the wayward disgusting organism and held on to her head in case of any sudden movement. It took him a few good tugs before the nasty creature broke his suction. Luckily Papa got everything out of her head...creature's head and all. It left a nasty little "cut" on her scalp though. We put said organism in a container and later I took it to the doctor to see what kind of tick it was. Some ticks carry lyme disease. I didn't want to take the chance. They said she should be seen due to her age, allergic response to some things, and the fact that she HAD had a mild fever for the past day or two. She was seen...doctor said it was a simple Wood tick with little risk of Lyme disease and he treated her poor little scalp. Poor baby. I think I had a harder time with it than she did. She just went along with the flow the whole time. She didn't ever flinch or cry, or say Yuck...like her mom was...EVER! She was such a champ!!! What a little country bumpkin I have!!!!!

No comments: