Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Camp Fiasco

So much has happened this month that I am behind on my posts! We did have a camp fiasco this year. Sadly. Cam has been to camp 3 years now and LOVES it! The same camp...Timberlake Ranch Camp.
It is a Christian camp where they have TONS of fun and learn about the bible at the same time! This year Jake finally decided to go. He is our more timid one when it comes to being away from home. Cam was to go Sunday through Friday, and Jake...being new...was to only go Wednesday through Friday. It is about a 2 hour drive away....so I had to drive there Sunday, Wednesday and Friday....but they were so excited, and I know the camp is well worth it.

So I dropped Cam off on Sunday after church. Here he is in front of his cabin. Now remember...this is the Sunday after we got home from Powell...so it is only 5 days later. Dad so far was the only one to get strep throat. Thankfully...

Here he is in his cabin...this picture was taken right before he said, "Mom...you take too many pictures." I am a mom...what can I say!?

Here is MaKenna going up the stairs to Cam's cabin.

Anyway, we stayed and ate dinner with him, and then MaKenna, Major and I left for home. Jake stayed home with daddy to help nurse him back to health. We did make a pit stop at my aunt and uncle's home...Dick and Karen Jantzi, in Fairmont. We wanted to say hi!
So...Monday night the phone starts to ring....it is Timberlake. Oh, oh...I didn't get to the phone the first couple times, we were out side. When we came in though and I saw who it was, I immediately called back. They said Cam had a sore throat and tummy ache. He was afraid he had strep throat. Ugh. Something you need to know about Cam...he is a hypochondriac. If he stubs his toe, he thinks it needs to be amputated. The kid is just always worried about something. They put him on the phone and he said, "Well...since dad has strep throat, I probably do to." I asked him if he could wait until morning, he thought he could. So, the next morning, dad and I went to pick him up. This was Tuesday morning...so he had only spent a quarter of the time there. Well...since Cam wasn't going to be there, Jake decided he didn't want to go. Ugh. Well....that saves on gas...but I knew I wouldn't get much money back...if any.
When dad and I got Cam he didn't look too bad...in fact, he said he felt a little better...but we had drove a long way, and I wasn't leaving there without him. So we headed off. The next day, Cam was fine...no strep throat. Go figure. I spoke with Timberlake. They are a great camp, but they do have rules...and some of those rules apply to refunds. Out of almost $600 I sent to Timberlake for the boys, I got...are you ready for this?? I got $17.50 back! So, I just keep saying to myself, "Tonya...you donated to a Christian camp this year!" That makes me feel a little bit better!

No comments: