Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day...waste of money...or not?



Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Ugh. Such a special day...but what makes it so special? Honestly we need to show those we love that we love them more than just one day a year. Jeff and I were planning on going to dinner tomorrow night...but everytime I bring it up to some one they say, "Oh...a date on Valentine's Day...how sweet." What??? We date on more days than just Valentine's Day...what makes Valentine's Day so special? I mean...Hallmark and florist are the people who are really making an enormous profit...that is why it is pushed so much to the public, so THEY make money....but shouldn't we be this "sweet" every day of the year? Shouldn't we hug and love on those we love every day? I don't know how I feel about Valentine's Day anymore. I told Jeff not to get me anything...number one...we can't afford it...number two...why pad the pockets of hallmark, or restaurants or florists when we know we love eachother. You know what I mean?? Is this coming out the right way? If there is one thing I learned from my mom...which I hope I learned a lot more than just one thing...it is that holidays are JUST that....DAYS. Some people get their panties in a bunch if you miss an important holiday with them....for example Valentine's Day...but it is JUST A DAY. You can celebrate Valentine's Day ANY time of the year. When Jeff and I were just married we lived in Oregon. We would travel to AZ for Christmas, and then from AZ we would go to NE and from NE we would head back to Oregon. That year we didn't make it to NE until AFTER Christmas, but nobody in my family cared, because Christmas is JUST A DAY. You can celebrate Christmas ANYTIME. And we did...and we still had a great time. Many times we have been some where else at Christmas time or Thanksgiving and we have celebrated with my family at another time...nothing was different, it was the same. It is what you make of it, not the day it falls on. Okay...I will get off of my soapbox now. Maybe I am just getting old...but I am tired of wasting money on all of these holidays that are only put in place so other's can make money....make sense??? Ugh...I need to go to bed, I think I am tired.....What do you guys think? Waste of money, or not???

No comments: