Wednesday, December 21, 2011

New York, Sunday, Day 1, 10/23/2011

New York, Sunday day 1, 10/23/11

Wow! I am so excited, but a little nervous! I am going on this trip with Jeff! It's his business trip and he asked me to come. First time he has ever asked me to join him. I was shocked, but I wasn't going to miss the opportunity. It cost me $544.00 to get airline tickets, but I didn't care....well, I cared, but you know what I mean. I just had to figure the kidfinagling. Once I figured that out it was smooth sailing, right? WRONG! Satan tried everything in his power to not let this trip happen. He didn't want Jeff and I alone together and possibly rekindle what he has tried so hard to take away. Some of the things that happened shortly before we left. #1. Jake broke his arm while hunting in Wyoming with his dad, brother, grandpa Jerry, cousin, uncle and hockey friends. We had to cast it one day before we left. #2. MaKenna had nits in her hair. We treated everything and everybody. We washed everything and everybody three days before we had to leave. #3. Just a bunch of little things that kept me on my toes and wondering if this trip would happen or not...but it did! Love and God prevailed. I got everybody packed Saturday nght!

So Sunday morning, we got up and ate. Scott (our neighbor) came and got MaKenna and Jake at 8:30. Malissa and Derek Randecker came and got Major and my van at 8:45. By 10:00 we were ready to gt to the airport. We woke up Cam to say goodbye. Rhonda and Mike were going to pick him up around 2:00, then we were off. I had my typical preflight tummy issues, but I was super excited! We only had carryon bags, so check in went pretty fast. The flight was an itty bitty puddle jumper again. I hate these, Jeff can't even stand up straight in them. Jeff and I didn't talk much. I read my magazines and he slept. It was a little over three hours when we started dropping. I was on the wrong side of the plane though, so I didn't get to see NYC from my window. The Newark airport was packed! We found the little guy, Pete, with our name on the sign though with no trouble. It was neat to have someone pick us up like that! Though Jeff is probably used to it. He took my bag and even opened the car door for me. It was a nice big town car. I talked a lot to Pete because Jeff isn't very talkative. I think I embarrassed Jeff a little bit. What's new? :-). He says he never speaks to the drivers....he says you're not supposed to, but I don't believe him! I like to talk to people, So, I talked to Pete. He was from Pakistan. He gave me some tips on how to get by in New York City. Our hotel was the DoubleTree, $354.00 a night! Thank goodness TDAmeritrade was paying for it! We were on the eighth floor with a view of the Hudson River and the Manhattan skyline. Beautiful! Our room had a living room, as well as a bedroom. It was very nice. Jeff and I freshened up and headed back out the door. The concierge was very helpful in telling us how to get across the river and where to go. Had to walk about two blocks to get to the PATH train. It's a subway system that takes you from New jersey to about five different places in New York. It actually goes under The Hudson River! We got on at Newport staion and got off on the last stop, 33rd St. In Manhattan. Everyone calls the Subway trains, just trains in New York

It was chaos when we got out of the subway....PEOPLE EVERYWHERE! I honestly can't say that I have ever seen so many people in one place in my entire life! I was pretty nervous. I am short and I couldn't see over anybodies heads. We walked around a lot. We went to Times Square, we went down 5th ave a bit, then we went to the Empire State Building. I had already purchased tickets in Omaha....but we still had to stand in line. They had security checks just about everywhere. The Empire State Building was no different. We only paid to go to the 86th floor. You could pay more to go to the 96th floor, but we didn't. We had a great view where we were. It took us awhile to figure out which direction we were looking because we couldn't find anyone who spoke English to ask. New York City is such a melting pot and there are so many tourists there! It was certainly beautiful up there though. And it was a beautiful and clear evening. I even saw a shooting star! I felt that that was a message from God of hope for our future. I pray that God continues to heal our marriage. After we went to a place called Jimmy's bar and grill for dinner. It was tasty! We got to watch the Vikings/Packers game while we ate! Perfect ending to a perfect day! I ate a bit much though and then got motion sickness on the train back to New Jersey. I now know NOT to look out the windows when on a moving train with a full stomach! Still a very memorable and wonderful day/night!

No comments: