Wednesday, December 24, 2008

RSV, Stitches, Pneumonia, anything else???

So...as if we didn't have enough going on with birthdays and Christmas and vacations, etc...Major suddenly started acting fussy and just not himself at all. Last Sunday night, the 14th, he started coughing pretty good and just being really fussy....which is totally unlike him. Nothing we could do would make him happy. Little did I know that the night before was the last night I would sleep for over a week. :-( He just had a really rough time that night, coughing, breathing, everything. I made an appointment for him Monday. He didn't have a fever, and I figured he just had a virus so I hated taking him out in the cold, but the weather was supposed to get worse the next day and I was afraid that if he got worse we would have to go out in even worse weather, so I decided to take him in before the storm hit. Well...he was diagnosed with RSV. His O2 Sats were only around 90, but they don't ABSOLUTELY admit until their sats are at 88...so 90 was borderline. They considered admitting him, but I told them I had a nebulizer at home and we would stay up all night if we needed too. I figured I wouldn't sleep in a hospital anyway. So, every 3-4 hours we were doing breathing treatments on him. He couldn't sleep laying down...he would just wake up coughing and gagging. Even sitting up on me on the couch, he would only sleep 20 minutes or so at a time before his coughing would wake him up. He also started running a fever. Oh yeah...and did I mention that the doctor also said he had a nice ear infection? So he was also started on antibiotics. Tuesday went by with no improvement and his breathing treatments didn't seem to be helping him breathe. His chest was starting to dip in when he breathed and he just was really struggling. So Wednesday I took him in again. They thought they would admit him, so they wanted me to wait until later in the day so there would be rooms opening up. No such luck...no rooms in the "inn". BUT...his sats were still around 90, so again...it was borderline anyway. They gave me a different breathing medication to use since the Albuteral didn't seem to be cutting it. They also discovered that not only did he have an ear infection and RSV, but he had also developed Pneumonia. Oh...goodie. No wonder the kid isn't sleep or eating! I honestly think he has lost 4 pounds since this started because he has not eaten anything. The new breathing meds seemed to be doing a better job, so we all had a sigh of relief and just kept a close eye on him. Thursday night I was so excited to not have to see a doctor and to just rest....when suddently *WHAM------AAAAHHHHHHH-----MMMMOOOOOMMMMM* Oh dear. It was Cam. He was "surfing" on our rocking chair Audoman (not sure on the spelling), and he fell on top of it as it fell over exposing its metal parts. One of those metal parts impalled his lower kneecap. I took one look at it and called my dad. (Jeff wasn't home yet). We weren't supposed to take Major out anywhere because it was 10 below zero with a windchill making it feel like it was 30 below zero, so I asked my dad to come over and watch the kids while I took Cam to the Urgent Care...he was going to need stitches. Well...this particular night we had warnings and advisorys coming out of everywhere. Ice Storms, Blizzards, Wind Chill Advisories, you name it, we had it. So getting to Urgent Care was a chore all in its own. We were there for two hours. By the time we left my windows had THICK ice on them. I don't have a scrapper...don't preach to me...I don't know where it went...I think it grew legs and walked off when we sold the Suburban. Anyway, Cam and I had to sit there long enough for the ice to melt off of the windshield using only the defroster. We slid all the way to Walgreens where we had to pick up his prescription for antibiotics. We got home at bedtime...but luckily school was cancelled the next day anyway. So...five stitches and a bottle of antibiotics later...I FINALLY sat down...then the baby started to cry........

No comments: