Monday, August 25, 2008

Five Family Values

I recently got an idea! Amazing isn't it?? As a family, we are going to paint on the wall...or...maybe stencils are a better plan...or perhaps just frame our five family values! Our five family values will be the valeus that we have chosen to show how we will relate to each other. Of course, these family "rules" will be priorities based on God's Word. I plan on putting it somewhere that we will ALWAYS see it before we walk in the door, when we walk in the door, or as we are walking out! Here are the 5 I have come up with. Any other suggestions??
1: Love God Well.

What is the greatest commandment? "Love the Lord your God with all your heart" (Deuteronomy 6:5).

2: Family first (after God of course...as seen in #1).

We're gonna be loyal to each other. We're in these lifelong relationships together. Our family relationships come first. Jesus said that closely tied to the first priority was the priority to love our neighbor--our family is our first circle of neighbors.

3: Work hard.

My mom and dad used to always tell me, do it right the first time. They would say, "Stutzman's do it this way and we do it well." Don't you ever forget your family trait. What a great vision to give to a kid! It's followed me my whole life.

4: Tell the truth.

Yes, even when it's hard. Even when it's going to get you into more trouble. Just get the truth on the table. God can do a lot with any situation and with your heart when you tell the truth.

5: Be kind.

Think of someone else before yourself. Do the thoughtful thing. Speak the encouraging word. People matter to God.

Priorities are the driving force behind a life well lived. I figure if we have them up and we talk about it a lot...the kids won't forget them.

I have always felt bad that we don't have regular bible study or bible reading time with the family in our house...with the exception of when they were little, we always have done bible bedtime stories. But, even though we don't do the regular bible family time, we have made God and His Word priority in how we live. We have made our share of bad decisions, but praise God, we still choose to seek God for wisdom to make good choices that come from these basic priorities.

So that is my project over the next few days....getting those priorites up...somewhere...somehow!!! Wish me luck!! I'll post a picture when I get it done! Okay...realistically....lets say a few weeks instead of a few days! :-)


No comments: