Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mom is with the Lord...

Post from my mom's care page:

Tuesday...Mom is with our Lord

My eyes are burning, my head is pounding, my heart is breaking. This is what it is like for those left behind. Mom went to be with the Lord today. Last night, she had a lot of difficulty breathing. Dad kept her well medicated though, so she slept without agitation. To us she seemed to have difficulty breathing, but to her...maybe not. It is hard to say...I guess we will never know. This morning she was still having labored breathing, but her hands and feet were still warm...so I went to Bible Study anyway. Rhonda stayed here with dad and worked from here. Uncle Ron and Linda were here also. I called from Bible Study, and Rhonda told me that her breathing was getting more and more labored. I made it back to the house around 1pm. I ate a little lunch and went back to see mom. Her breathing was in Cheyne Stokes...which means she didn't take a breath but ever so often. Her nail beds were also turning blue. It was about 2pm. I got Rhonda and Dad and we all went and sat with her. Uncle Ron and Linda had to catch a flight, so they said their goodbyes. We sat with mom, we sang songs with her,dad recited Psalm 23 and started the Lords Prayer, which Rhonda finished. We all told her how much we loved her and that we would all be okay. We reminded her of what was to come...the streets of gold, grandma, grandpa, her brother and her nephew among many others that she was going to meet in Heaven. We told her we were going to miss her terribly but that in a blink of an eye, we would all be together again. We all gave her kisses and a tear dropped out of one of her eyes. Soon her breaths got fewer and further between. With Rhonda on one side holding her hand, Dad on the other side holding her other hand and me also by her side rubbing her arm, momma took her last breath and went to be with the Lord at approximately 2:30pm. We continued to sit by her side and cry for another 15 minutes or so before we called anyone. We called Uncle Ron at the airport first. Then we called Hospice. Next Pastor Tim. Hospice came out and confirmed that her soul was gone. They then called out the sheriff. In Sarpy County, they make the Sheriff come out and investigate...not fully...they just ask a few questions of the Hospice nurse and check out the deceased. Luckily they didn't have to have any contact with us because we weren't too thrilled that the police had to come out. Sarpy County is heartless in making people go through that. Anyway, the police determined that there was no foul play (gee...ya think?), and the nurse then called the Mortuary. Jeff came over and sat with us for awhile with mom in her room, then he went to get the kids. The nurse was very nice...she came and sat with us for a long time while we waited for the Mortuary to come. She asked questions about mom and our family...she was very sweet. I started getting light headed and sick to my stomach, so I decided not to be here when they came. I prefered not to see them take my momma away. So I went home. Jeff and I told the kids, and Rhonda also went home and her and Mike told her kids. Some of the kids took it pretty good...others didn't do near as well. The three youngest ones had no idea what was going on. They just are too young to get it. Dad called us as soon as the Mortuary left, and we all met back over here for Pizza. Pizza that was provided by Vera Gustafson. HAND MADE! Very yummy! Thank you SO much Vera! We truly appreciate it. Pastor Tim also came by to talk with us, pray with us, answer questions about death and eternity, and also talk with us about funeral arraingments. TENTATIVELY we are thinking the services will be Monday the 2nd of February at 10:30 here in Omaha with a luncheon to follow...then we will go to Milford for burial and a service at 3 pm with a small meal following at 4. This is not set in stone yet. We are waiting to hear back to make sure that this date and these times work for everyone involved. We will let you know when we know for sure. It was wonderful that Rhonda and dad and I were able to be here with her...but it was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do. I know she is in a better place, but it doesn't stop the hurt. God did not have a miracle in store for my mom, but as Jesus prayed, it is God's will, not ours. Mom had 62 great years. Though I believe that she should have had at least 30 years more, that was not God's will and we need to accept that. But I am ever so grateful for the 33 years of my life that God allowed me to have with her, and I am sure that dad and Rhonda concur. As we prepare for her Memorial Services...does anybody have any great, cute, touching stories about mom that they would like to share? We would sure like to hear them! Thanks! With love to all of you...thank you so much for your thoughts, your prayers, your support.

No comments: